The J.O.S.H. Foundation was initially founded in memory of Joshua Samuel Hughes who died tragically at the age of 21. However, as Cindy Hughes began the foundation, she realized that there are so many children of all ages who have passed away due to any number of circumstances. Loss affects the entire family in ways that cannot even be imagined.
The J.O.S.H. Foundation believes the death of a parent, sibling, or loved one can have a devastating affect on ones life and can forever alter the person you are. Grief makes it more difficult to achieve your goals of furthering your education, through emotional, physical and financial hardships.
The J.O.S.H. Foundation would like to assist you in reaching your goals by offering an annual scholarship to a graduating high school senior who wishes to further educational pursuits at a college, university, business, or vocational training facility in 2013.
These high school seniors received scholarships of $500 or $1,000:
2007: Jenifer Fink
2008: Carly Sachs
2008: Jessica Vossler
2009: Kaci Miller
2013: Lindsey Bishop
2014: Emily Davis
How To Apply
Click to download a Scholarship Application
- Applicant must be a graduating high school senior in a public school in Carroll County, Maryland who wishes to further their educational pursuits at a college, university, business or vocational training facility.
- Applicant must have suffered the loss of an immediate family member or loved one
- Applicant must have at least a 2.5 grade point average.
- Applicants must submit a written essay explaining who in their family passed away and how the loss has impacted their life and affected their future.
- Applicant must complete and sign the application form provided.
- Application and essay must be postmarked by April 30th and returned to the address provided to be considered for the fall semester of college.
- The J.O.S.H. Foundation Scholarship Selection Committee will review the applications and the required essays and make the award selection based on the above criteria. All awards will be made without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex or disability.
Scholarship recipients will be notified when decisions have been made. Presentation of the scholarship will take place at their high school awards assembly. The recipients of the scholarship will receive an amount, payable for tuition and books at the beginning of the fall semester, paid directly to the school upon proof of registration.
To apply, submit a written essay explaining who in your family passed away and how the loss has impacted your life and affected your future. Complete and sign an application form and submit your form and essay by April 30 for consideration for the fall semester of college for that year.
Send your completed application via email or mail it to:
Cynthia A. Hughes
The J.O.S.H. Foundation
612 Falmouth Court
Sykesville, MD 21784